The brochure "TISA 12017 - TPEG What is all about" has been created as a guideline for understanding TPEG quickly!
How Does it work?
In contrast to TMC (event-based road traffic information), TPEG refers to a whole set or toolkit of specifications, for offering a wider range of services to a wider range of users and devices.
TPEG services are defined in a modular way and can therefore vary in a number of 'directions':
- Application - e.g. Road Traffic Messages, Public Transport Information or Parking Information. Each Application is uniquely identified by an Application ID (AID) that are allocated by the TPEG Application Working Group (TAWG) of TISA.
- Transmission method - e.g. DAB digital radio, DMB, internet
- Location referencing method - e.g. table-based (using for example TMC location tables) or on-the-fly (using a method that gives a location reference that works with or without maps and does not require a look-up table to decode in the receiver)
- Device - e.g. intended for vehicle navigation systems, internet browsers or mobile devices
- Conditional Access - whether data is sent for free or only to users/devices who have somehow established the right to receive it, e.g. by paying a subscription. Encryption of TPEG data is possible by means of Standardised Encryption Indicators which are allocated by the TPEG Application Working Group (TAWG) of TISA.
The term "profile" is used to define a combination of the above which, together, make up what you might think of as a single TPEG service. For example:
- displaying traffic incidents on a map graphic and supporting re-routing or route optimisation
- displaying public transport status information on a cell phone screen
TPEG Services today
TPEG is available in many countries around the globe. Any TPEG-service is uniquely identified worldwide by a TPEG Service ID (TPEG SID). More information regarding the current status of deployment is available here
TPEG is available in many countries around the globe. Any TPEG-service is uniquely identified worldwide by a TPEG Service ID (TPEG SID).
More information regarding the current status of deployment is available here