The brochure "TISA 14001 - TPEGTM What is it all about" has been created as a guideline for understanding TPEGTM quickly!
How Does it work?
In contrast to TMC (event-based road traffic information), TPEGTM refers to a whole set or toolkit of specifications, for offering a wider range of services to a wider range of users and devices.
TPEGTM services are defined in a modular way and can therefore vary in a number of 'directions':
- Application - e.g. Road Traffic Messages, Public Transport Information or Parking Information. Each Application is uniquely identified by an Application ID (AID) that are allocated by the TPEG Application Working Group (TAWG) of TISA.
- Transmission method - e.g. DAB digital radio, DMB, internet
- Location referencing method - e.g. table-based (using for example TMC location tables) or on-the-fly (using a method that gives a location reference that works with or without maps and does not require a look-up table to decode in the receiver)
- Device - e.g. intended for vehicle navigation systems, internet browsers or mobile devices
- Conditional Access - whether data is sent for free or only to users/devices who have somehow established the right to receive it, e.g. by paying a subscription. Encryption of TPEGTM data is possible by means of Standardised Encryption Indicators which are allocated by the TPEGTM Application Working Group (TAWG) of TISA.
The term "profile" is used to define a combination of the above which, together, make up what you might think of as a single TPEGTM service. For example:
- displaying traffic incidents on a map graphic and supporting re-routing or route optimisation
- displaying public transport status information on a cell phone screen
TPEGTM Services today
TPEGTM is available in many countries around the globe. Any TPEG-service is uniquely identified worldwide by a TPEGTM Service ID (TPEG SID).
More information regarding the current status of deployment is available here
- TISA Webshop online
24 April 2014
- TPEG Workshop "Getting in youch with TPEG"
27 March 2014
- Michelin presented the TPEG technology at Mines ParisTech
05 March 2014